The Carnegie Diplodocus Around the World
At the turn of the 20th century, the United States’ large urban museums entered a frenzied competition to be the first to collect and mount a sauropod dinosaur. The American Museum of Natural History in New York was first across the finish line, completing a composite “Brontosaurus” mount in 1905. The Pittsburgh Carnegie Museum had a more complete sauropod skeleton (a Diplodocus) on-hand, but they had to wait until 1907 for a space large enough to exhibit it to be completed. Not to be outdone by his New York competitors, benefactor Andrew Carnegie commissioned nine (or ten, sources differ*) casts of the skeleton, which he presented to several cities in Europe and Latin America. The London replica mount was ready in 1905, mere months after the New York “Brontosaurus.”
Locations of the above photos, in order:
Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, USA (original)
Natural History Museum, London, UK
Museum of Natural Science, Madrid, Spain
National Natural History Museum, Paris, France
University Museum of Chopo, Mexico City, Mexico
La Plata Museum, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Natural History Museum, Vienna, Austria
Humboldt Museum, Berlin, Germany
Museo Cappellini, Bologna, Italy
Unknown museum, St. Petersburg, Russia**
*There is another specimen in Munich, but it is not on display.
**The St. Petersburg copy was apparently destroyed when molds were made from the bones.